Wednesday 26 February 2014

Today, someone did something very kind for me...

Today, someone did something very kind for me.
  Here in London... 
    the big city with over 3 million people! How often does any one member of this bulging society pay a stranger a bit of attention?! Can you remember the last time you did something nice for another person in the 'Big Smoke'?

Londoners have a reputation for being unfriendly. Not surprising when you consider that many visitors' first impressions of the residents of this great city are made during encounters on public transport. The long, expensive and overly busy daily commutes are hardly conducive to a friendly atmosphere! 

I have to say that I have generally found London to be very friendly place. OK, so getting to know your neighbours isn't often high on many people's agenda here. And yes, the Northern Line at Rush Hour is not fun when many of it's passengers use their elbows like a crowbar to shimmy their way onto those already over packed trains. However, I've witnessed many a kindness as well. Today, for instance an older lady was offered a seat twice on the Jubilee line (the second person not hearing that she was getting off at the next stop). 

The destination that I was headed for is also a good example of London at it's best. The members of Cecil Sharp House Choir, which I have been part of for many years have become a mini community who perform many acts of kindness for each other. It's not unusual for one of the 60 or so people who attend every Wednesday to bring some fruit or vegetables that they have grown for others to enjoy. A couple of members voluntarily arrange refreshments for the group each week, someone brought home baked flapjacks today and that is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how those wonderful people have helped to make each others lives that little bit better. But I still haven't got on to the main kindness that prompted me to write today's blog.

After a long day I stumbled home. The route is not great by public transport as it takes double the time cycling or driving should take. When I decided that walking all the way was a bit ambitious in my current state I decided to hail a cab and see how far the £5.50 in my purse would get me. Being a bit skint at the moment I planned to walk the rest. So, it was such a nice surprise when the taxi driver said that his job was to make sure I got home safely. It's not like a live in a dodgy area either. I had reassured him that I felt safe but bless hime he drove me all the way to my road. It's not even like I am a young girl trying to get home on meagre pocket money. He had already made his mind up to drive me the distance before I said I was having a tight month. I thanked him profusely and he was so modest. What he did for me meant so much not just because he helped me out but because his act of kindness made a big impression on me. I hope I remember his name correctly, because I'd like to thank Sharab, the taxi driver. Thank you for getting me home safely. Thank you for your kindness. Thank you for reminding me how people do care here in London. You have earnt some karma... not that you sought it. You talked of the importance of society and I agree. It's an important thing. So for anyone reading this: I appeal for you to do something nice for a stranger, acquaintance, friend or family. Let's get that community spirit going and make someone else's day. Let's pass that karma from Camden to Paddington, from Canning Town to London Bridge, from Walthamstow to Wandsworth... Offer a seat; a hand carrying some shopping; a simple smile may be enough. Of course, there is so much more that we can do. Let's get that sense of community spirit being felt all around our capital city!

No comments:

Post a Comment