Sunday 1 December 2013

My experience of skydiving from 16,500 feet and living to tell the tale ;)

Back on Terra Firma in the UK and looking at the grey skies of Winter I have been trying to relive my experiences. So I thought I'd tell you about one of my most joyous memories... Skydiving!

In April this year I took a trip to New Zealand. Deciding  to play it by ear and see what happened I turned up in Christchurch without a plan. As I walked around I was shocked to see how badly the city was still affected by the earthquake and hoped I hadn’t made a terrible mistake by not planning my trip better! The next day I managed to book a coach travelling around the South Island and I was off. Straight away we were asked whether we wanted to do a tandem sky dive. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to try something I’d always wanted to do. So without much time to back out I was kitted up and making my way up into the sky.


 Heart pounding and nearing the dropzone I was shuffled to the edge of the doorway and out I went. I can honestly say that I have never experienced anything like it! The force of air wooshing up my nose, the adrenaline coursing through my veins and the utter shock that I was freefalling at 16,500 feet stopped all thoughts for a minute except ‘Ahhhhhhhhh!’ Then my brain seemed to catch up with a wave of panic and then ‘woweee!’ Not exactly my most eloquent thought process! I’d love to do it again, maybe even go solo because when the parachute goes up and the free fall is over I just thought what an incredible experience it was. A couple of years ago I had Hodgkin Lymphoma, a form of blood cancer and at that moment of floating through the air looking down at the beautiful landscape of Abel Tasman I just wanted to shout ‘I have survived!’ I had so much to be thankful and happy for and I felt utterly elated!



2 comments:

  1. Hi there Kat! I was just reading up on few of your posts and had quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily.
    Sure, what's your email?
    Kat

    ReplyDelete